I’m happy to report that I’ve completed resurrecting JWebTrack, the terribly feature-incomplete bug tracking project I did for a Java class oh so long ago. After building an appropriate database and populating it with some data, the app worked like a charm.
Well, except for one thing: I had to change statement.executeQuery() to statement.executeUpdate() for the INSERTs. That must be a recent development in either the MySQL connector or Java because it wasn’t like that in 2003.
One thing I have to admit about JSP web pages and servlets: They load fast. Admittedly these pages aren’t doing a lot, but they come up like lightning compared to the PHP and ASP.NET pages I’ve done lately. (This was in the Eclipse browser… don’t know what it’s using to render pages.)
I have this crazy idea to port some of my PHP blog code to JSP and ASP.NET MVC. Working on them in parallel should give a pretty fair estimate of the pros and cons of each development environment.